Landlord FAQs

Texas Landlords Rights FAQ

Has your tenant stopped paying rent or broken your lease? We can help! We are a Fort Worth law firm focused on landlord-tenant law. Our attorneys have helped many landlords with landlord rights issues ranging from eviction and property damage restitution to property management and sales.

Read our landlord FAQs below. Then call (210) 579-0926 to arrange a telephone consultation.

My tenant is not paying rent. What are my options?

There are specific legal steps you should follow if your tenant has stopped paying his or her rent. Your first step should be to give the tenant notice to vacate. Make sure to allow the number of days noted in the lease/contract (if your contract is month-to-month, give 30-days’ notice).

If the tenant refuses to leave, contact us. We’ll take care of the rest.

My tenant has appealed to county court. What do I do?

County court is interesting, to say the least. Unlike Justice of the Peace (JP) courts, county court operates under the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure and the rules of evidence. To start, call the County Clerk and make sure your tenant is paying monthly rent into the Registry of the Court. If they aren’t, they are defaulting and you can let the court know this.

If they are paying their rent into the Registry, then it’s more complicated. Call us at (210) 579-0926 to discuss your options.

One more note: When you go to county court, make sure you have the property manager with you (if you are not the manager). This is vital for providing adequate testimony.

Can I lock my tenant out?

You must take these steps before locking out your tenant:

  • Give them three days’ written notice on the front of their unit
  • Give them 24-hour access with one hour’s notice to their personal property

Have Another Question? Call For An initial Consultation.

Do you have a question that isn’t answered on this page? Call (210) 579-0926 or send our lawyers a message. We offer flexible appointments to accommodate your schedule.